An innovative and creative project enabling KS3/4 students to develop skills and confidence as songwriters and performers and to get ahead with GCSE coursework, facilitated by professional musicians and artists. This is based on the highly successful project run by Living Song in partnership with NewVIc in 2013 – 14 with Forest Gate, Langdon, Cumberland and NewVIc.
Who is it for?
Secondary schools who wish to encourage:
- Rising yr 8/9 students taking music GCSE next year
- Yr 8/9 students at risk of losing engagement in
- Yr 8 / 9 + Advanced students needing additional
- Yr 10 + students needing additional encouragement to
Complete high-level coursework.
Opportunities and Dates
- Weds 20th Jan 4.30 – 6.00pm: Artists perform for students in NewVIc E100 studio
- Mon 28th Jan – Fri 15th Feb twilight: Bespoke 2hour twilight workshops in schools x 3
- Mon 25th Feb – Fri 8th March: One day in professional Studio – Lightship95 for each school on dates arranged with schools and artists
- Mon 11th – Fri 15th March: Twilight performance skills workshop in schools with performance artist
- Weds 16th March 6 – 8pm: Live performances from all songwriters to their Backing tracks
Writing sessions with visiting Artists will be run afterschool in your music department, or other appropriate area of your choice.
Performances will be held at NewVIc, Prince Regent Lane, London E13 8SG, or Stratford Circus, E15
Professional recording will be arranged at Lightship95 recording Studio, Trinity Buoy Wharf, E14 0JW www.lightship95.com (nearest tube East India on Docklands light railway. Risk assessment on request)
- Performance by professional songwriters
- 3 songwriting workshops with visiting artist for up to 12 students
- 1 day in a professional recording studio, Lightship studios per school
- 1 final workshop with visiting artist aimed at preparing performances
- CD for each student of all participating schools songs with backing tracks
- Songwriters performance opportunity for all participating students
How to apply
Send an email to email@example.com, or reply directly to express your interest and ask any questions you may have. We will then generate an agreement and invoice and send it to your school for payment and a secured place.
This project brought back by popular demand, based on the highly successful Yr 9/10 Song writing project, run over four years involving 10 secondary schools in Newham. It provides an opportunity for students and teachers to work alongside artists and musicians and for students to gain real life experience of song writing, either as individuals, or in collaboration with other students.
- Provide an engaging framework for students to succeed in their GCSE /Btech coursework
- Foster creativity and enjoyment of learning through song writing
- To provide a CPD opportunity for the teachers leading internally on this project, working in partnership with artists
- Professional recordings of students song with backing track for further school performances
- Live performance of students work, by them, or their chosen peers
- Opportunity for talented students to be identified for further professional development
Meet some of the Team
Linton Bennett is a professional music producer, musician, and recording artist with long experience in education, inspiring and motivating primary and secondary pupils all over London and beyond.
Byron Gold is a professional singer songwriter and recording artist with particular success in motivating and inspiring hard to reach learners and children, both in primary and secondary school.
Sarah Fisher is a professional songwriter and musician who has toured with the likes of Annie Lennox and the Eurhythmics and won International song festivals with her compositions.
Paul Watson is a songwriter, musician and gospel choir leader who has worked extensively in Newham and London wide schools to inspire young singers and songwriters.
Jane Wheeler is a freelance Music Education Consultant with a passion for singing, teacher continuing professional development and creative processes using the voice. She also has a keen interest in Nonviolent Communication (NVC). Find her on LinkedIn, or at www.livingsong.org.