THIS DOCUMENT INCLUDES:
- A statement of intent, including the aim and objective of the policy.
- Who the policy applies to (its scope).
- Outline of specific commitments / actions which will be undertaken.
- How the policy will be implemented and who is responsible.
- Monitoring and review procedure.
- Complaints procedure.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES POLICY – STATEMENT OF INTENT
The aim of this policy is to communicate the commitment of Living Song and members who work with us to the promotion of equality of opportunity in all we do.
It is our policy to provide equality of recruitment, training and opportunity to all young singers and all staff and artistic team members working with the us, irrespective of:
- gender, including gender reassignment
- marital or civil partnership status
- having or not having dependents
- religious belief or political opinion
- race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin).
- sexual orientation
We are opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination. All members of the organisation will be treated fairly and will not be discriminated against on any of the above grounds. Decisions on membership, selection for office, training or any other benefit will be made objectively, without unlawful discrimination, and based on aptitude and ability.
We recognise that the provision of equal opportunities in all our activities will benefit the organisation. Our equal opportunities policy will help members to develop their full potential and the talents and resources of the members will be utilised fully to maximise the effectiveness of the organisation.
Living Song recognises that there is a statutory duty under the NI Act 1998, to implement an equal opportunities policy. This policy applies to applicants for employment, volunteers and members of the group alike.
Living Song is committed to the principles and practice of Equality. We value the diversity of the local population. We want our services, facilities and resources to be accessible and useful to every citizen regardless of gender, age, ethnic origin, religious belief, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other individual characteristic, which may unfairly affect a person’s opportunities in life.
We are committed to:
- Promoting equality of opportunity for all persons.
- Promoting a good and harmonious learning environment in which all people are treated with respect and dignity and in which no form of intimidation or harassment is tolerated.
- Preventing occurrences of unlawful direct discrimination, indirect discrimination, harassment and bullying.
- Fulfilling all our legal obligations under the equality legislation and associated codes of practice.
- Complying with our own equal opportunities policy and associated policies.
- Taking lawful affirmative or positive action, where appropriate.
- Regarding breaches of our equal opportunities policy as misconduct which could lead to termination of membership.
This policy was adopted on 6th February 2012
We have specific responsibility for the effective implementation of this policy. We expect all participants in any activity initiated, led by, or in partnership with Living Song to abide by the policy and to help create the equality environment, which is its objective.
In order to implement this policy, we shall:
- Communicate the policy to members by issuing an induction pamphlet to all existing and new members.
- Living Song will endeavour, through appropriate training, to ensure that it will not consciously, or unconsciously, discriminate in the selection or recruitment of applicants for membership of the group.
- Incorporate specific and appropriate duties in respect of implementing the equal opportunities policy into roles and responsibilities of committee members.
- Incorporate equal opportunities notices into general communications practices (e.g. announcements, annual report at annual general meetings, notices and newsletters). This policy will be read out to all members at each annual general meeting.
- Ensure that adequate resources are made available to fulfil the objectives of the policy.
MONITORING AND REVIEW
We will establish appropriate information and monitoring systems to assist the effective implementation of our equal opportunities policy. The effectiveness of the equal opportunities policy will be reviewed regularly (at least annually) and action taken as necessary.
Associates or participants in any project led by Living Song who believe that they have suffered any form of discrimination, harassment or bullying are entitled to raise the matter through the agreed procedures on a project-by-project basis. All complaints of discrimination will be dealt with seriously, promptly and confidentially.
Every effort will be made to ensure that members who make complaints will not be prejudiced against. Any complaint of discrimination, harassment or bullying will be dealt with seriously, promptly and confidentially and may result in disciplinary action and may warrant dismissal.
Jane O. Wheeler, Director of Living Song Ltd.